2008-04-17

Canada to outlaw Nalgene bottles!

I started seeing them as early as high school. By college everyone I knew had at least one or two of these floating around. I drank my first gin and tonic out of one in the parking lot of a Phish concert. A bright pink one once appeared in the trunk of the car I shared with my brother. I think he still drinks from it at work.

But according to an article in today's New York Times every one of those hard plastic Nalgene bottles contains small amounts of the toxic chemical bisphenol-a. This stuff can mess up fetuses, put your hormones out of wack and can cause some serious endocrinal disruption. In an effort to restore order to endocrine systems the Canadian government is considering making B.P.A and any products containing it illegal... including Nalgene bottles.

Thank god I live in the US, where the right to bear reusable water bottles is righten somewhere in the bill of rights. If they mess with that they'll have to pull it from my cold, dead hands.

No comments: